Pages

Sunday 21 February 2010

DIY halloumi pizza


There's nothing more satisfying than eating a well-cooked homemade pizza after a long day at work. As it was Meatless Monday, we've decided to make an edited version of this pizza (we used halloumi instead of mozzarella).


I like my pizza crust thin. Does anybody remember Pizza Hut's The Edge pizzas? I used to be able to eat a whole lot of those to myself. And Shakey's thin crust pizzas were always a classic quick lunch in college.

But how exactly do you make a super nice pizza crust? Here's how we usually do ours:

3 cups flour
3/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoons salt
pepper
  • Save for the flour, mix all the ingredients in a bowl until yeast has fully dissolved. Add the flour and mix thoroughly until all of the flour and water have mixed and a stiff dough ball forms. It helps to have a heavy duty mixer.
  • Place the dough ball into a large bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for a couple of minutes before using. Some people actually leave their dough balls rising for 24 hours. You can do this if you have time.
  • Sprinkle a flat CLEAN surface with flour (I'm very OC with surfaces). Knead the dough ball for about 2-3 minutes. Lightly cover your finger tips with flour if the mixture is a little sticky.
  • Roll out by hand or by a rolling pin for your base. This should be good enough for a 12-inch base, but we usually end up having 20-inch pizzas.
  • Sprinkle some flour on some grease-proof paper and place your crust here. You can also use a pizza oven pan (the one with holes in the bottom) but make sure you oil it a bit first.
  • You can now customize your pizza w/ all the sauces and toppings you want.
  • Cook in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for about 10-15 minutes (times may vary depending on your toppings & your oven. Fan-assisted ovens cook quicker).

I really recommend any pizza lover to try making their own. Since we started making our own pizzas, I've never ordered pizza in restaurants (save for the Geneva trip) as I seriously think we can make it better. It's seriously not as hard as it looks and I swear, it's very satisfying in the end.

2 comments:

  1. I discovered halloumi a few years ago as I moved to Cyprus, never heard of it before. But straight away I fell in love with that delicious cheese that is so versatile and gives its special note to so many dishes. Very often we try new halloumi recipes and there is not one week since then, that we won't have at least one meal with halloumi, not to speak about BBQs, where having halloumi is a must.
    Thank you for sharing this yummy recipe and giving me some new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] love me a good pizza, especially when it’s homemade. I know someone who makes really good homemade pizzas. His pizza base is my idea of perfect: thin but strong enough to hold generous toppings, [...]

    ReplyDelete