Pages

Monday 16 August 2010

let the beet control your body



Diced Beetroot

Save for the fact that it stains everything, I love everything about beets. I love the texture, fibrous but silky. I love the taste, strangely reminiscent of corn except it's a root vegetable. I love that they're nutritious and that they're good for the skin. I love how they remind me of summer. I love the colours; the plant is green, purple and a deep sultry red. I love how beets seriously remind me of a few favourite things. Perhaps in my previous life trillions of years ago I was a beetroot myself. Who knows.

Beets are actually very versatile. The roots can be boiled and eaten warm or cold, shredded raw for salad, puréed as a side or made into soup. Vegans use them to make chocolate cake, some people use them to make wine. Personally, I like beetroot best plain, or when pickled in oil and vinegar. Perfect for snacking and salads.

After the jump: a recipe for a nice beetroot salad, inspired by a similar salad prepared by my Uncle. Dead easy to prepare, I kid you not.


You will need:

8 cooked beetroot, diced
5 eggs, hard boiled and chopped*
450g Charlotte or new potatoes, boiled and cooked in herbs
4 tablespoons, light mayonnaise**
1 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped (It's best with red onions but in this case I used white)
1 teaspoon, cumin
1/2 teaspoon, garlic powder
salt & pepper

* - other options: diced turkey breast or roast chicken leftovers
** - you can use creme fraiche, but add a teaspoon of lime juice if you will

Directions:
1) In a deep clear bowl, layer beetroot, egg, potatoes, onions and coriander

2) Add in the mayonnaise, cumin and garlic powder. Mix everything until the dressing is evenly spread.

3) Leave to cool for a bit and then cover in cling film. Keep in the fridge for a while, this salad is best serve cold.

When ready, add a bit of chili sauce for an extra kick. I like the salad best with Encona red hot pepper sauce but you can also use Tabasco or whichever you like. Ultimately, you can just serve it as is. It can be a full meal on its own, or served as a starter, a light snack or a side with a good piece of steak. YUM.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome Russian Salad Leng! Nagugutom ako tuloy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks April! Try it, it's nice =) I didn't know you had a blog! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha. It's just an extension of my old livejournal blog. I just like being able to customize it and possibly earn money from the hits. :)

    ReplyDelete